Saturday, May 25, 2013

Babysitting Baby Chicks For a Day!

My lovely new friend, Christy, from Crayons and Whimsy, was SO generous and let my class babysit her chicks for a day!  She hatched these bad boys with her class, and let my little ones enjoy them for a little bit.  Make sure you click on the image below to check out her adorable blog.  


We just finished studying the life cycle of a chick, so getting to see the baby chicks in real life was such a treat for my kids!  I mean, look how adorable this little guy is!


The kids sat in a circle and gently placed their hands on the ground, anxiously waiting for a little chick to walk across them.  This is the closest they got.  Those chicks were smart, they huddled in the middle of the circle, out of reach from the children.  ;)



This photo cracks me up, because this chick is seriously staring straight at the camera!  Christy had marbles in the water to make sure the little guys didn't "fall in."  I was stressed that something horrible would happen to the chicks under my watch, but everything turned out fine!



Here is my Chicken Life Cycle for Kindergarten if you looking for a resource to study this unit. :)


Thank you Christy for sharing your feathered friends with us!

6 comments:

  1. Adorable!!! This unit makes me miss teaching kinder. Wahhh! :(

    -Aris
    Sailing into Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did a chicken life cycle unit...but with no cute little chickies. That would have been so much fun to actually hatch some!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are adorable, I'm sure your kids loved babysitting. I'm glad you explained the marbles I was wondering about those when I saw them on instagram the other day. BTW I am OB-SESSED with instagram fo' real!!!!! Thanks for all of the tutorials can't wait to link up on Tuesday.

    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for chick sitting! They're starting to learn how to fly now.... so I'm glad your little ones got to hang out with them early on! Next up....ducklings???

    Christy
    Crayons and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I will have to tell my second grade teachers about your chick stuff! They will love it! I would like to invite you to link up at Tackle it Tuesday because you have such awesome stuff!
    Amy
    3 Teacher Chicks

    ReplyDelete