Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving Class Feast! and a linky...

I want to show you some Thanksgiving activities I did this week with my Kindergarten class!  But first, here are some photos of our class feast!  We had everyone bring a favorite dish, and then we sat in a long table and ate together.  Before we ate, we held hands in a circle and shared what we are thankful for and said a prayer (I work at a private school!).  It was sweet to hear what the kids and parents are thankful for, and the parents really enjoyed hearing from all of the students.  Here is our table set up for the feast...


 
Did I mention that I dressed up as a prairie girl "Pilgrim" and my aide was a "Native American?" 

 
We also made a class cook book, where the students drew a picture of the item that they brought to the feast, and the parents wrote down the recipe.  This was a hit, and I am going to do the same thing for Christmas!
 

 
We made the Mayflower using our hand print and little sails.  The students wrote their thoughts using the sentence prompt:  "If I was a Pilgrim on the Mayflower and could take one thing with me, it would be...."


 
One of our parents donated felt turkey stickers, so I used them for writing a sentence and drawing a picture.  The kids drew the background and then they used the turkey sticker on top.  Then they traced the sentence "I see a big turkey."  Under the traced sentence, they could write that sentence again or choose their own sentence to write.
 



 
I decided to use this post to link up with A Year of Many Firsts linky party to share what we are thankful for.  I am so thankful for my job.  I am thankful for the amazing staff I work with, and for the supportive parents and students.  I am thankful that I can work in a private school and teach the young minds about Jesus.  I am EXTREMELY thankful for this blogging world and the amazing friends that I have made.  This is going to be a good year!
 


What are you thankful for?
 

10 comments:

  1. This brought back memories. I remember working at a very rural school (small class size) and we had a Thanksgiving dinner much like this. I made the turkey and the kids brought in a side dish. It was so much fun!!
    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how fun!! Your kiddos are lucky to have you, Michelle! ;)
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to share such a special time with your students. Your table decorations look fabulous. I know your class will always remember your feast!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle - you are the most stinkin cute prairie girl/pilgrim ever! Love your cute feast/recipe idea. ( HUGS )
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure your families are THANKFUL to have you as their teacher Michelle! Everything looks adorable! I did a "Thankful Feast" and made our tables into one long one too. I love doing that. I have the kids say that they are thankful for the classmate next to them. So sweet!
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous post my friend!!! You are too cute Miss Griffo :)

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Just found your post through Miss Kindergarten and I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WISH I could look as cute as you all dressed up! So fun!
    You have some very lucky students, Michelle. :D
    I love those Mayflower handprints!
    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you able to post the worksheet you use for the Mayflower activity. I would love to use this for my Kindergarten Class this year. I also work at a small private school and our day will look similar to yours. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete